IN GOD WE TRUST
Van Buren District Library
Lawrence Community Branch
click on photo to see an enlargement
The old Library had been located in the basement of Lawrence Township Hall (built in 1902) for approximately 100 years, without handi-cap accessibility, public restrooms, and no additional room for book inventory.
The new library building is built on lots that formally housed the Dept. of Public Works storage building and an apartment house in past years.
The Van Buren District Library Board contributed $100,000 to Lawrence Township and the citizens of Lawrence Township approved a millage for the remainder of the cost for the new Library building. All interior furnishings were provided by the District Library Board.
The library building is owned by the Lawrence Township Board of Trustees and provided to the District Library Board which operates the library. The library is located at 212 North Paw Paw Street across the street from the Lawrence Township Community Services building (Fire Station).
The building is built using the Post-Frame Construction, with Insulated walls and ceiling, heated floors, ice melt sidewalks, painted drywall interior, EFIS (Exterior Insulation Finish System) exterior finish, and shingle roof.
We were awarded with the 2005 Building of the Year from the Michigan Frame Builders Association, Commercial Category and from the National Frame Builders Association, Institutional Category for this project.
Project Manger- Glen Thomsen
Project Processor- Doug Thomsen
Crew Foreman- Shannon Scott
Architect- Brooks Architectural, Inc
Library Architect- Library Design Associates
Structural Engineer- Timber Tech Engineering